since when was this valid syntax?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Sep 8 14:26:23 PDT 2012

On Saturday, September 08, 2012 20:25:38 Timon Gehr wrote:
> Jonathan would say he has more important things to do.

If someone else did it and had good enough arguments why the change should be
made, then it might make it in, but on top of Walter's time issues, this
strikes me as the sort of thing that he normally lets linger and will probably
disagree on with folks like Bearophile anyway (though I don't recall him ever
taking a stand on the issue). David Simcha has argued in the past that it's
actually better for generic code if it's left this way (since otherwise,
conflicting attributes would mean that you'd have to use static ifs and the
like to make the code valid). Walter may or may not agree with that and may or
may not have other reasons why it should be the way that it is. But my guess
is that he won't really see it as a problem.

I do think that it would be nice if the situation were improved, but I also
really doubt that it's going to be changed any time soon without some other
than Walter doing it (and that's still assuming that they can convince Walter,
which may or may not be easy).

- Jonathan M Davis