string to thread

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 03:21:59 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 8 September 2012 at 09:10:30 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:

> If you were to operate on a string in a manner similar to a
> stream, you'd be
> operating on it as a range, and there are a lot of range-based
> functions in
> Phobos. But if you want to specifically parse a range of
> characters, then use
> std.conv.parse:
>
> http://dlang.org/phobos/std_conv.html#parse
>
> If you want to know more about ranges, then this is currently
> the best
> tutorial on them:
>
> http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/ranges.html
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Hum, parse. Looks useful. No need to create a temp stream like in
C++ then. Good. Thanks for the info.

That said, is the "abstraction" itself available? Say *someone*
wrote an xml parser, and the public interface expects to operate
on a "File". Now, supposing I don't have a file, but all I have
is a string, is it possible for someone pass that string the the
function?