formattedRead and whitespace-separated variables

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Tue Apr 9 04:42:15 PDT 2013

Hello all,

A bit of a naive question here as text processing isn't my forte ...

Suppose I have a data file containing whitespace-separated variables, i.e.

    1 2 3
    4 5 6
    7 8 9
    10 11 12

...etc.

Naively it's easy to do something like (having got a stripped string of the line),

    formattedRead(s, "%s %s %s", &var1, &var2, &var3);

... but is this tolerant of arbitrary differences in the whitespace between
variables?  (e.g. it might be 2 spaces not 1; or a tab; or ...)

I don't think it is, so how would I tweak the formatting string so as to ensure
that any arbitrary whitespace is taken as separating the variables to read?

Thanks & best wishes,

    -- Joe