opIndex operators

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Apr 13 04:41:01 PDT 2013

gedaiu:

> What i want to create, is an array structure like the one from
> PHP where array levels are not fixed and the sintax to access
> rhe values is val[][] so returning a reference to a struct that
> have the same type as the current type is useful.
>
> there is a way to do this in D?

Instead of returning float as in my case, you return something
else that has opIndex and opIndexAssign. This way you can pile up
the []:

import std.stdio;

struct Foo {
     ref Foo opIndex(in size_t i) {
         writeln("opIndex: ", i);
         return this;
     }

     void opIndexAssign(in float value, in size_t i) {
         writeln("opIndexAssign: ", value, " ", i);

void main() {
     Foo f;
     f[1] = 2;
     f[3][4] = 5;