Ref and class function calls?

Tofu Ninja emmons0 at purdue.edu
Tue Apr 16 10:51:06 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 16 April 2013 at 15:23:56 UTC, Regan Heath wrote:
> I would question always question "fully intended" on a case by
> case basis:
> http://www.drdobbs.com/cpp/how-non-member-functions-improve-encapsu/184401197
>
> I agree that grouping functions together that should be used
> together, or on the same type of object is a good idea from an
> organisational point of view but that shouldn't be the only
> reason for making them class member functions.

I think a lot of people give too much credit to encapsulation. I
mean don't get me wrong its cool and all and it has its place,
but it seems like some people make it seem a lot more important
than it really is. I mean having lots of encapsulation really
doesn't do anything for your program, it won't run faster or do
more things. If any thing, more often than not, it makes things
run slower, as you can't see what's in the black box.

Thats just my opinion on the whole thing...

I am actually hesitant to post this because I don't want to start
a debate over encapsulation.... I really hope i don't start a
debate...