Random double

qznc qznc at go.to
Tue Apr 23 07:43:14 PDT 2013

I want to generate a random "double" value, excluding wierdos
like NaN and Infinity. However, std.random.uniform seems to be
useless. I tried things like

   std.random.uniform( double.min, double.max);
   std.random.uniform(-double.max, double.max);
   std.random.uniform(0.0, double.max);

However, I just get Inf values. :(

I assume this is due to floating point computation within
uniform, which easily becomes Inf, if you come near the
double.max boundary. Should that be considered a bug?
Nevertheless, any ideas how to work around that issue?