Internationalization vs. Unicode

Tyro[17] nospam at home.com
Fri Apr 26 15:09:48 PDT 2013

There are myriad encoding schemes. D natively supports Unicode and
provide functionality via phobos. A byproduct of this is that since
ASCII is a subset of Unicode, it also natively support ASCII. This is a
plus for the language but what of the other encoding schemes? What
library functionality is provided to manipulate or convert between those
encoding schemes and Unicode?

I have a need to convert from CKJ encoding (presently EUC-JP and
Shift-JIS) to Unicode. How do I accomplish this using D/Phobos? Is there
a standalone library that does this? If so, can someone point me to it?
If not, is there planned functionality for inclusion in phobos or am I
doomed to resorting to Java or some other language to accomplish this
task (or at least until I'm educated enough to do it myself)?

Thanks,
Andrew