Which option is faster...

jicman cabrera at wrc.xerox.com
Tue Aug 6 21:30:13 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 6 August 2013 at 14:49:42 UTC, Andre Artus wrote:
> On Tuesday, 6 August 2013 at 12:32:13 UTC, jicman wrote:

>>> What exactly are you trying to do with this? I get the
>>> impression that there is an attempt at "local optimization"
>>> when broader approach could lead to better results.
>>>
>>> For instance. Using the OS's facilities to filter (six
>>> requests, one each for "*.doc", "*.docx") could actually end
>>> up being a lot faster.
>>>
>>> If you could give more detail about what you are trying to
>>> achieve then it could be possible to get better results.
>>
>> The files are in a network drive and doing a list foreach
>> *.doc, *.docx, etc. will be more expensive than getting the
>> list of all the files at once and then processing them
>> accordingly.
>
> Again, what are you trying to achieve?
> Your statement is not necessarily true, for a  myriad of
> reasons, but it entirely depends on what you want to do.
> I would reiterate Dennis Luehring's reply, why are you not
> benching? It seems like you are guessing at what the problems
> are, that's hardly ever useful.
> One of the first rules of network optimization  is to reduce
> the amount od data, that normally means filtering.at the
> server, the next thing is coarse grained is better than fine
> (BOCTAOE/L).

It's a long story and I will return in a few months and give you
the whole story, but right now, time is not on my side.  I have
answers for all the questions you folks have asked, and I
appreciate all the input.  I have the answer that I was looking
for, so in a few months, I will come back and explain the whole
story.  Thanks for all the response and suggestions.

jic