Which option is faster...

Andre Artus andre.artus at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 23:23:02 PDT 2013

>> It's a long story and I will return in a few months and give
>> you
>> the whole story, but right now, time is not on my side.  I have
>> answers for all the questions you folks have asked, and I
>> appreciate all the input.  I have the answer that I was looking
>> for, so in a few months, I will come back and explain the whole
>> story.  Thanks for all the response and suggestions.
>
> after makeing us girls all wet to help you - your reply is
> "no sex on the first date, im a gentlemen... but maybe in a few
> months"
>
> so:
>
> you having a jscript doing somehting with files,fileextensions
> over networkdrive - it runs around 8h
>
> you ported that jscript to D - now it runs for 6h
>
> you noob-guessed the lowercase-if-party could be evil (btw: it
> cost more time to guess then to benchmark)
>
> you get trivial answers that won't get you very much, the
> lowercase would not boost your speed that much and the
> networkdrive latency will kill all the other statemachine ideas
>
> you don't answer trivial questions about the big picture - and
> now you're out of time
>
> open questions:
> -why not collect the data on the server itself - instead of
> grabbing tiny bits over network? - this is for understanding
> your environent

Just for a sanity check I implemented a quick client-server setup
where the daemon takes filespec from the client and returns a
line-by-line list compressed into one packet.

The total running time on 8 terabytes of files stored over a
dozen drives searched recursively: less than 1 minute.

Same over slow WiFi, negligible difference (list compresses to a
few Kb) with LZMA.

I did not even bother to search each physical drive separately,
just produced the list sequentially.

> -how big is the speed drop with your tool on the very same
> drive localy and over a networkdrive? - this is for
> understanding the latency
>
> -are you also reading this files or just doing filename search
> (recursively?) and throwing out non office-extensions?
> this is for getting an idea if buildin OS(operating system)
> features can help
>
> see you in a few months

It's impossible to help people who refuse to give basic
information.