What's the D way of allocating memory?

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 08:28:44 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 7 August 2013 at 15:21:56 UTC, Gary Willoughby
wrote:
> What's the D way of allocating memory? Do you guys just use
> malloc() and free()? Or are there functions in phobos that
> should be used? I just need a buffer of variable length
> allocating every now and then.

Allocating some garbage collected memory:

an array:
SomeType[] a = new SomeType[somePositiveInteger];
or
SomeType[][] m = new SomeType[][](somePosInt, someOtherPosInt);

a class
SomeClass b = new SomeClass(/*constructor args*/)

Sure, you can use malloc and free, but then of course you have to
manage everything yourself