Recommended ways to handle final classes

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Fri Aug 16 11:39:05 PDT 2013

On Friday, 16 August 2013 at 18:20:46 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I'm not an OOP *hater* per se, but I *am* a skeptic about
> applying OOP
> anywhere and everywhere, even when it doesn't really belong
> (*cough*Java*cough*). Different problems need different
> solutions;
> insisting on turning a screw with a hammer only leads to poor
> hacks,
> boilerplate, and other code smells.

I was not really speaking about OOP concept as-is but about
traditional implementations in languages like C++ or Java that
suggest using class hierarchies for ~everything.

Really loved this article found on reddit few months ago, it
pretty much sums up my feelings on topic:
https://lwn.net/Articles/548560/ . It speaks about Go and Rust
but key point is generic - classical class-based OOP only makes
sense if you need a run-time polymorphic behavior (and even than
there are exceptions).

I believe that with the development of meta-programming tools
completely new approach will emerge eventually.