Monads compared to InputRanges?

Max Klyga email at domain.com
Tue Dec 3 15:49:47 PST 2013

On 2013-12-03 23:02:13 +0000, Shammah Chancellor said:

> On 2013-12-03 21:51:20 +0000, Max Klyga said:
>
>> On 2013-12-03 02:45:44 +0000, Shammah Chancellor said:
>>
>>> I'm not particularly familiar with the syntax being used in the variet
>>> of monad examples.   I'm trying to figure out how this is different
>>> from UFCS on InputRanges.   It seems like std.algorithm implements
>>> something which accomplished the same thing, but much easier to
>>> understand?
>>>
>>> Can somebody maybe do a compare and contrast for me?
>>>
>>> -Shammah
>>
>> Monads and input ranges are different things. I'll try to briefly
>> explain monads. Hope this will not worsen the situation by being too
>> confusing.
>>
>> InputRanges provide a generic way for iterating over something.
>>
>> UFCS can be used to create a range interface on things that do not provide it.
>>
>> Monads are an abstraction for composing things within some context
>> (concatenating lists, composing operations on nullable values,
>> composing asynchronous operations). That sounds a bit too general and
>> vague, because it is. One can think about as a design pattern.
>> Monad has two operations:
>>  - make a monad out of a value
>>  - apply a function that takes a value and returns a new monad of the
>> same kind to value inside a monad
>>
>> second operation has a different meaning for different monad kinds but
>> generally it means 'execute this code within current context'
>>
>> for nullable values this means 'execute only if there exist a value'
>> for asynchronous operations this means 'execute this when the value is ready'
>>
>> This operation is commonly named 'bind' or 'flatMap'
>>
>> Some languages provide syntax sugar for monads (Scala's for, Haskell's do)
>> Monads are easier to understand once you've seen enough examples of
>> things that are monads.
>>
>> Suppose you have a list of movies and want to produce a list of names
>> of all actors stating in those movies.
>> In scala you would typically write something like this:
>>
>> 	for (movie <- movies; actor <- movie.actors) yield actor.name
>>
>> Compiler rewrites that to
>>
>> 	movies.flatMap(movie => movie.actors).map(actor => actor.name)
>>                           ^
>>                            ---------- this function takes a list
>> element and returns a new list, effectively creating a list of lists
>> and then flattening it by concatenating all the lists into one, hence
>> the name 'flatMap'. It transforms and then flattens.
>>
>> Another popular example for Monads are optional values (similar to
>> nullables but forcing you to check for presence of value and explicitly
>> avoiding null dereferencing)
>>
>> A common pattern for working with optional values is returning null
>> from your function if your input is null
>>
>> So if say we are parsing JSON and we want to process only values that
>> contain certain field, that in turn contains another field. Example in
>> pseudo-scala:
>>
>> 	for (value <- json.get("value"); // type of value is Option(JsonNode)
> [...]

You look only at the syntax side of the question.

 range.map(...).flatten.map(...) might look similar and it could be
possible to squeeze monads to work with this api, but the thing is that
not every monad could provide a meaningful map function and as a whole
calling flatten after every map is a bit tiresome.

That may work for some monads, like List, because its effectively a range.
It will also work for Maybe monad. It could be viewed as a range of 0
or 1 elements.
But things get bad when we try to define other monads in terms of range
interface.

Current map implementation by design doesn't know anything about range
it processes. If we try to define Promise monad as a range it will
practically be useless unless we provide a custom map implementation
for promises, because std.algorithm.map will return a wrapper range
that will call popFront() that will block and wait for the value but
that defeats the purpose entirely as we wanted the result to be mapped
asynchronously when it will be available and not block.
What about other monads? Defining IO or State monads as a range would
be just impossible

So input range can be viewed as a monad but not the other way around.

Each monad needs its own unique flatMap implementation