About compiler memory consumption

Puming zhaopuming at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 07:43:34 PST 2013

Hi, I'm learning D, and trying to develop a website using vibe.d.

I'm using Digital Ocean's VPS server, with 1GB memory. Many a
time when I do `dub`, the memory consumption soars and forces dmd
to quit, sometimes even causes the remote machine droplet to
freeze.

I understand that due to template and static analysis in the
compiler, the memory usage is huge for template heavy code. But I
heard that there was effort going on and progress is already made
in recent releases.

My question is, is there a plan for this effort? What is the
general prediction of an ideal D compiler, some hundreds of MBs
or less? I'd like to switch to 512MB VPS droplet, as it's much
cheaper. When (which release) would the memory cost be in
reasonable level?

As an alternative, I can build the project locally and rsync the
binaries to the VPS, but a simple binary in vibe.d yields a ~12MB
file, it's somewhat slow to upload it. So I wonder can we refer
vibe.d/phobos as a dynamic library?

Thanks,
Puming.