About compiler memory consumption

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Dec 4 10:29:39 PST 2013

On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 07:22:45PM +0100, Dicebot wrote:
> On Wednesday, 4 December 2013 at 18:20:36 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >I'm pretty sure there's a lot of room for optimization in dmd when it
> >comes to handling templates. If only I had the time to dig into the
> >dmd source code...
>
> I have wasted ~3 months on digging this with no success. And when
> Walter has finally paid attention to this issue and changed template
> instance emitting algorithm, I still was hardly able to understand
> why exactly the changes in pull were necessary to get that result.
>
> Just be warned ;)

Well, that's why I said I needed more time. :) I'm not expecting it to
be a breeze to read through dmd code. I've actually looked into it
briefly before when tracking down a compiler bug, but I've to say that
in order to understand the code you need to first understand how it
works at a high level (yes, it's sorta a chicken-and-egg problem),
otherwise you're just looking at the trees and not seeing the forest.

What are you when you run out of Monet? Baroque.