migrating to 64 bit

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 04:22:57 PST 2013

On 12/17/2013 6:13 AM, Stephen Jones wrote:
> Thanks for your answers but I wasn't quite clear about what I asking.
> Basically I am on a 64 bit os but I want to continue compiling for a 32
> bit os. I don't want to reconfigure Derelict because I already have all
> the functionality I need from Derelict. Until dmd on Windows 64 bit is
> sorted out, including a clear procedure for setting up the linker I have
> no need or wish to compile for 64 bit. Especially since any d program
> that compiles on 32 bit will compile under 64 bit.

DMD *is* sorted out on Windows 64. To compile 32-bit, you do nothing
special. To compile 64-bit programs, you set up the Visual Studio
toolchain as described in the wiki[1] and pass the -m64 flag on the
command line.

> Is there a flag on dmd that forces it to assume it is creating 32 bit
> object files? Or is this not possible?

Typeing 'dmd' with no args will show you all supported flags, including
-m32 and -m64. The former generates 32-bit objects and the latter 64-bit
objects. On Windows, 32-bit is the default so you do not need to do
anything.

[1]
http://wiki.dlang.org/Installing_DMD_on_64-bit_Windows_7_(COFF-compatible)