Build all at once or…

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Dec 22 02:44:15 PST 2013

On Sun, 2013-12-22 at 01:03 -0800, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
[…]
> 1. Unless you compile each of the separate files in parallel, it's faster to
> compile everything at once, because you avoid having to reprocess all of the
> imported modules. Parallel compiling still has to do all of that work, but the
> gains from compiling multiple at the same time will likely offset it.

I can see this being so where many files are changed between builds, but
I am working in a situation where I want to build and run after each
change of a file. So with large numbers of files only compiling one and
linking seems faster than compiling all.

> 2. As I understand it, there's at least one outstanding bug where the symbols
> can get screwed up if you build stuff separately. Unfortunately, I don't
> remember the details or the bug number, but it's generally brought up when
> anyone tries to promote doing incremental builds.

It would be good to uncover this one in more detail as the current SCons
build strategy is always separate compilation. If anyone can add to
Jonathan's point here, that would be great.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk