Dub and GtkD

Artur Skawina art.08.09 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 13:00:06 PST 2013

On 12/22/13 20:21, Mike Wey wrote:
> On 12/22/2013 03:36 PM, Russel Winder wrote:
>>
>> Python now uses the reflection approach to providing a Python binding to
>> the API: PyGTK has given way to PyGobject. Has the PyGobject approach
>> been rejected for GtkD staying with the PyGtk approach?
>
> I don't think that would be a good approach with D, you either need a whole lot of compile time magic, or loose type safety and do everything at runtime.

It's not that bad; no compile time magic and zero runtime overhead is
possible: http://repo.or.cz/w/girtod.git/tree/gtk2:/gtk2

While I haven't updated those bindings  in ~2 two years, they should
still work; may just need some tweaks, to deal with recent d language
changes and to support newer lib features. The biggest remaining issue
is lack of integrated Cairo bindings.

artur