GDC GCC backend

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 16:22:26 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 24 December 2013 at 22:51:44 UTC, Mineko wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 December 2013 at 08:24:09 UTC, Johannes Pfau
> wrote:
>> Am Mon, 23 Dec 2013 06:20:51 +0000
>> schrieb "Mineko" <uminekorox at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> This one's kinda short..
>>>
>>> Is it possible to change the variable that gdc finds cc1d?
>>>
>>> Something like gdc -gcc=/whatever/gcc_backend?
>>
>> The -B option should do what you want.
>>
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Directory-Options.html
>
> Thank you, it seems to have helped the issue, however now there
> is another issue that'd I'd like conformation on, as my
> knowledge of GDC won't allow me to know what's happening with
> this.
>
> cannot find source code for runtime library file 'object.d'
>        dmd might not be correctly installed. Run 'dmd -man' for
> installation instructions.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, this is basically saying GDC needs dmd, or
> something from dmd?
>
> As I will be distributing GDC with my application I need to
> make GDC as portable as possible, and of course, legal, seeing
> as I can't distribute DMD legally, I was considering LDC
> however if possible I would like to get GDC working.
>
> Usually, DMD works normally, however with this GDC seems to be
> making some call to DMD or one of it's files, that's where I'm
> confused.
>
> I appreciate you time and help. :)

That message talking about dmd isn't right, it's a bug.

The error is because of an incorrectly written or missing config
file (gdc.conf if I remember correctly). Gdc doesn't know where
to find druntime/phobos without it.

Fyi: gdc and ldc both use modified versions of the dmd frontend
(hence the dmd error message you found). It is only the dmd
backend that has a licensing problem.