inotify and recursion

Hugo Florentino hugo at acdam.cu
Thu Dec 26 12:40:11 PST 2013

Hi,

By any chance has anyone linked against libnotify so as to monitor
certain changes in a directory and subdirectories, and act according to
event?
I am thinking in combining this with fossil [1] to automatically
document changes in /etc

My main concern is that (if I undestand it correctly), inotify requires
a file descriptor for every object watched, and if a directory has many
files this could probably have an impact on performance, or do you know
if just by using the directory I want to monitor, everything within it
will also be watched?

Also, I have never linked before against a Linux library and inotify
does not seem particularly easy because of the file descriptors, so if
someone has linked against this library and has a sample code, I would
very much appreciate if you could share it.

Regards, Hugo

[1] www.fossil-scm.org