Human stupidity or is this a regression?

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Thu Dec 26 13:38:02 PST 2013

On Thursday, 26 December 2013 at 05:39:26 UTC, Lionello Lunesu
wrote:
> On 12/26/13, 11:58, bearophile wrote:
>> Lionello Lunesu:
>>
>>> I could have sworn this used to work. Is my memory failing
>>> me, or was
>>> this a deliberate change at some point? Perhaps a regression?
>>
>> It's not a regression, it's a locked-in design mistake. Write
>> it like
>> this and try again:
>>
>> foreach (dchar d; "你好")
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>
> Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. But D being D, the default
> should be safe and correct.

It is impossible for it to be "correct", unless with a very
specific definition of "correct" which makes sense for some
languages/locales and not others. As a challenge, try to define a
"foreach" semantic that works "correctly" with the OP's code for
Unicode composite characters, or Hebrew.