Tutorial on how to build DMD/druntime/phobos and docs from source?

timewulf timewulf at network-application.de
Fri Feb 1 00:33:23 PST 2013

On 31.01.2013 19:17, Philippe Sigaud wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling
> <joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net> wrote:
>> On 01/31/2013 05:58 PM, Philippe Sigaud wrote:
>>>
>>> Could you please update the wiki accordingly?  (If you don't have an
>>> account, it takes 5 secs to get one, I did that a few weks ago)
>>

>> Yea, I've been slow about getting active on the Wiki, apologies for that.
>
> It was just that I had no easy access to a connection :)
>
>> I've updated the page to include the DMD=../dmd/src/dmd option in the
>> druntime/Phobos build process, and to add a discussion of how to install dmd
>> etc. once it's built.
>>
>> I also added a link to Alex' blog post. :-)
>
> In fact, I was a bit leery to add it yesterday, because these kinds of
> post are very ephemeral. But hey, we can also change the wiki when/if
> the post does not represent the current situation.

Hi all again,

thanks for the changes, I tried out to install only with the wiki, as if
I knew nothing more than a week before and I got it working without trouble.

During my first approach, there was just one misunderstanding on my
side: I didn't realize (I just didn't look for it.) , that the
dmd-compiler itself is purely C-code. I thought, I need dmd for
compiling the newer version.

On the otherhand, I'm a safety-fanatic, first building the new hut
before razing down the old one, because I dislike tents ... ;-))

There's a great discussion about "How to get d-Language more popular".

I think this part, to make installation more easy and smoothy is one
part, to help on this way. Everyone who heard about d and just wants to
try-out if he can easily understand some samples, changing some
parameters to see if they work as expected, doesn't want to put much
time into installation before.

Greetings, Timewulf (Berthold Humkamp)