std.process.system and friends

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 17:45:49 PST 2013

On 02/07/2013 04:37 PM, Peter Sommerfeld wrote:
 > Ali Çehreli wrote:
 >
 >> On 02/07/2013 02:58 PM, Peter Sommerfeld wrote:
 >>
 >> > The point is you cannot *set* the path variable.
 >> > But meanwhile I think it isn't a good idea anyway.
 >> > The PATH belongs to the user/system, not to programs.
 >> > Otherwise that may introduce some harm...
 >>
 >> The environment is private to the running process (unless some of the
 >> variables are "exported" to child processes of that process.) There is
 >> no danger of affecting the system.
 >
 > Regarding the PATH win7 seems not to thinks so. May be on *nix?
 >
 > Peter

We are talking about changing the PATH environment variable from inside
a program right? I don't use win7 so I have to take your word for it but
I am very surprised.

I would understand if we are talking about changing the PATH variable
that gets copied to the environment of each process but setting the
variable in a process should stay with that process.

Ali