std.container.RedBlackTree versus C++ std::set

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Feb 15 12:37:46 PST 2013

On Friday, February 15, 2013 21:16:51 Namespace wrote:
> > They're not going to do that until they've decided, and AFAIK,
> > they haven't.
> > Attempting to essentially confront them and get them to say
> > what they plan to
> > do generally doesn't get you anywhere - especially since
> > they're unlikely to
> > say much until they actually are planning to do it, and it's
> > usually the case
> > that no decision has been made.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> I did not mean the const& thing. This is hopeless and will
> certainly take some months or years.
> My post was based on "[...] probably by getting rid of postblit
> all together.".

I know. And my answer is the same. There's nothing special about the const&
issue and how that's going. That's how it pretty much always goes. Until it
becomes a priority for Walter, it'll go nowhere. Sometimes, if someone makes
it a priority and implements it (creating a pull request for it), then that
solves the problem, but sometimes that's still not enough, because Walter
needs to sort out whether it's the direction that we want to go, which means
making it a priority to sort that out, which means that the pull request sits
around for a while and may or may not make it in. Bug fixes and more minor
language changes do get merged all the time, but if a language change is
significant enough, it generally requires that Walter spend some time on it
and make a decision on it (even if he's not implementing the changes), and
he's generally very slow about that if it's not near the top of his list of
priorities.

- Jonathan M Davis