Can D still compile html files? Seems not.

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 23 11:05:32 PST 2013

On 02/22/2013 08:59 PM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> Nope, removed. While not the same and may not do anything that you are
> considering.
>
> This was made to compile listings and then put the output of compiler
> and run into a new tex file.
>
> https://github.com/JesseKPhillips/listings-dlang-extractor

What actually brought this up is that I've gotten so disgusted with ddoc
that I was looking for pretty much ANY alternative.  It looks, though,
like I've got to use a mixture of ddoc and doxygen.  Doxygen won't
handle extern(C) code that I need to document, and ddoc is basically a
verbose and crippled system that doesn't generate an index or a usable
table of contents.

FWIW, I'm not too pleased with doxygen either, but it has decent indexes
and a decent table of contents, and the pdf it generates has a
reasonable legibility.  (The html is only useful for small pieces of
code, because the fonts are too big.  I'm sure if I were better at html
I could fix this, but the last time I studied html everything was
static.  (I.e., before either javascript or css.)  So if I can make a
pdf do the job, that's what I'll use.  (And, FWIW, I've never studied
TEX, so I don't even think about customizing THAT format.)

This is really annoying.  Documentation should just be something that I
use to keep track of what I've done when the program has gotten too big
to hold in my memory...or was done too long ago.  None of these are even
potentially useful as end user documentation, and I'm not planning on
publishing the library as closed source.  (Even open source is dubious.
  The parts I'm currently writing are documentation of pieces of a C
library that I use in the current project, not the complete thing, so
it's general utility is dubious.)  Eventually the entire project will,
if successful, be GPL, so the documentation is for
programmers...especially me.  And having it be a big and annoying
imposition is a distraction that I really don't need.  But this kludge
of a solution that I've come up with is "better", or at least faster,
than writing my own doc system.  And probably lots faster, even though I
would write it in a language better suited to the process than D.
Probably Python or Ruby.  (And the probably means Python.)  I did take
the idea seriously enough at one point though to start putting together
an appropriate syntax.  It wouldn't be THAT hard.  The hardest part
would be generating the index and table of contents.

For that matter, I like that ddoc allows/requires that you specify the
file(s) that are being documented.  But I want to be able to do it
piecemeal instead of all at once.  Arrgh!  I shouldn't think about how
to do it, or I might decide to go ahead, even though it's an insane
diversion of effort.