Is there a string remove method, that takes an index

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 19:27:15 PST 2013

On 01/29/2013 05:37 PM, Damian wrote:
 > public string remove(string str, size_t start, size_t n) { }
 >
 > I need something like this, similar to .Net, does Phobos have this?
 > I have looked at removechars in std.string and this is not suitable
for me.
 > Do I need to roll my own?

Yes but it's extremely simple with a huge warning sign on it: :)

import std.stdio;

void main()
{
     auto s = "neighbour";
     s = s[0..7] ~ s[8..$];
     assert(s == "neighbor");
}

The program is correct only if the string is a dchar string or it
contains ASCII characters only.

The correct apprach is to treat strings as what they are: dchar ranges.
Looks like removeAt() is pretty easy to implement when there is no error
checking. :p

import std.stdio;
import std.range;

R removeAt(R)(R range, size_t i)
{
     auto rest = range.save;
     rest.popFrontN(i + 1);
     return range[0 .. i] ~ rest;
}

void main()
{
     auto s = "neighbour";
     assert(s.removeAt(7) == "neighbor");
}

Here is another one that uses the reduced range lazily:

import std.stdio;
import std.range;
import std.algorithm;

auto removeAt(R)(R range, size_t i)
{
     auto rest = range.save;
     rest.popFrontN(i + 1);
     return [range[0 .. i], rest].chain.joiner;
}

void main()
{
     auto s = "neighbour";
     assert(s.removeAt(7).array == "neighbor");
}

Ali