Looking for command for synchronization of threads

Sparsh Mittal sparsh0mittal at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 14:58:34 PST 2013

Background:
I am implementing an iterative algorithm in parallel manner. The
algorithm iteratively updates a matrix (2D grid) of data. So, I
will "divide" the grid to different threads, which will work on
it for single iteration. After each iteration, all threads should
wait since next iteration depends on previous iteration.

My issue:
To achieve synchronization,  I am looking for an equivalent of
sync in Cilk or cudaEventSynchronize in CUDA. I saw
"synchronized", but was not sure, if that is the answer. Please
help me. I will put that command at end of "for" loop and it will
be executed once per iteration.