Building from source for ubuntu

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jul 7 03:40:34 PDT 2013

On Sunday, July 07, 2013 12:25:50 monarch_dodra wrote:
> I'm building a nix environment for dmd, and am having problems
> buiding dmd from source on it.
>
> I'm following the instructions on the wiki:
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Building_DMD
>
> The first thing I've run into seems that the X64 instructions are
> out of date? it says to do "make -f posix.mak MODEL=64", but that
> doesn't seem to do anything...
> Anyways, that's just minor detail.

make -f posix MODEL=64

is correct.

> I'm hitting a wall at building phobos, because of curl:
> make -f posix.mak DMD=../dmd/src/dmd
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcurl
>
> I've isntalled curl via apt-get ("sudo apt-get curl"), and it
> seems to be installed. Just not in ld:
> which curl
> /usr/bin/curl
> cd /usr/bin/ld
> bash: cd: /usr/bin/ld: Not a directory
>
> Bit of help on either of these two isues? Then I'll update the
> wiki.

I don't use Ubuntu, but my guess is that it has a separate package (probably
with devel in the name) which includes the static lib. Many distros don't
include all of the stuff required to build against a library in the main
package for a library - just the stuff required to dynamically link against it.

- Jonathan M Davis