Building from source for ubuntu

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Jul 7 15:45:45 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jul 07, 2013 at 07:01:40PM +0100, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-07-07 at 19:51 +0200, John Colvin wrote:
> > On Sunday, 7 July 2013 at 17:04:24 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2013-07-07 at 07:50 -0700, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > > […]
> > >
> > > aptitude search libcurl.*dev
> > >
> > > surely. :-)
> >
> > to be honest, most of the time I would just write "apt-get
> > install licurl" and then look through the rest using tab
> > completion. Doesn't work for more complex cases, but it's often
> > enough.
>
> But libcurl and libcurl-dev are likely different packages. Also
> apt-get really is not as good as aptitude. And aptitude is way better
> than any of the fancy graphics UI abominations. One up for ncurses and
> properly managed dependencies so as to get automated removal.
[...]

Apt-get manages autoremovals too. Though granted, it's not as obvious
how to operate it. But then again, I'm a CLI type of person, so reading
manpages is second nature to me. YMMV. :)

But yeah, for package management, I say a resounding No to GUI apps...
what happens if, for example, you need to fix a broken X11 installation?
Over an SSH link? I still find CLI most reliable, not demanding on
bandwidth, and still far more expressive than GUIs. (Well, I guess
that's why I'm a programmer. :-P Most "normal" people don't think like
that.)

Тише едешь, дальше будешь.