Building from source for ubuntu

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 13:36:48 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 10 July 2013 at 19:40:58 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
> More questions related to running on ubuntu. I'd like to have
> side by side installs of dmd. Eg 2.060, 2.061 ...
>
> I installed using the downloadable packages.
>
> dmd and rdmd are in /usr/bin
> druntime and phobos are in dmd, which is in /usr/include
>
> Currently, I have 2.063 installed, and would like to install
> 2.063.2 alongside. Is there a procedure for this?
>
> I was thinking of moving the "dmd" dir into a versioned subdir,
> move dmd and rdmd into some other subdir too. Then, I'd have to
> write a corresponding dmd.conf for each.
>
> Or... is there something easier?

The way i manage this sort of thing is by having symbolic links
for all the usual dmd things (i.e. dmd, rdmd, catdoc, dmd.conf
etc.), then have a script dmd_select that switches which versions
they all point to (which are held in different directories).

Alternatively, you could create separate symbolic links for each
version, with different names. Or just rename the executables
(not a good solution).

The advantage of all of these is that you don't have to rewrite
dmd.conf because the relative paths will be the same for all
versions.