for loop parens

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Jul 13 07:35:28 PDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-07-13 at 12:43 +0200, ixid wrote:
> > I think that Python has syntax evidently and demonstrably
> > superior to D. Why not Python?
>
> White spaces with meaning cause hard to find bugs, the Python
> syntax is not appropriate for large projects and this is well
> known. That is not the case for the small changes Go has made.

Who says Python is not appropriate for large projects? What is their
authority for saying this?

This claim is certainly not well known, nor is it understood or believed
by anyone undertaking serious software projects that involve Python.

Some of the enforced syntactic constraints of Go due to the deduced
semi-colon insertion, are awful and ugly, in my opinion. To hide the
issues by trying to make a benefit from there being "one and only one
allowable style of Go code" enforced by gofmt is actually running away
from the real problem.

Personally I think parentheses enclosing the control expressions in for
statements and end of statement semi-colons are anachronisms. C++ and D
choose to keep them, which is irritating. Go always has end of statement
semi-colons even if the source code appears not to.
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk