Fastest way to compare dates using two unix timestamps?

Gary Willoughby dev at nomad.so
Fri Jul 26 12:51:39 PDT 2013

I'm writing a program that deals a lot with dates in unix
timestamp format. I need to 'normalise' this timestamp to only
give me the date and not the time. To do this i thought of using
only midnight on that day.

Here is the first attempt to normalise these dates:

	protected uint trimUnixToDate(uint unixTimeStamp)
	{
		auto time   = SysTime(unixTimeToStdTime(unixTimeStamp));
		auto offset = time.dstInEffect ? 3600 : 0;

		return (unixTimeStamp - (unixTimeStamp % 86400)) - offset;
	}

While this works (for my timezone and DST settings) it is slow.
Is there a faster way to do this?

Or how can i compare two timestamps and only compare the date
contained within, not the time?