Alias/template for value

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Jul 31 07:56:55 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 04:54:40PM +0200, bearophile wrote:
> Joseph Rushton Wakeling:
>
> >I'm completely inexperienced with assembly, but I
> >think it's clear I have to learn ...
>
> Learning to write very efficient asm takes several months or a
> couple years or more. Learning to write working asm takes weeks or
> few months. Learning to read a little some asm takes hours or two
> days.
[...]

It's completely worth the effort though, IMO. I know many people will
disagree with me, but Knuth puts it best:

	By understanding a machine-oriented language, the programmer
	will tend to use a much more efficient method; it is much closer
	to reality.
	-- D. Knuth

	People who are more than casually interested in computers should
	have at least some idea of what the underlying hardware is like.
	Otherwise the programs they write will be pretty weird.
	-- D. Knuth

My program has no bugs! Only unintentional features...