Alias/template for value

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 09:05:35 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 31 July 2013 at 15:07:28 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Wednesday, 31 July 2013 at 14:58:24 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> 	People who are more than casually interested in computers
>> should
>> 	have at least some idea of what the underlying hardware is
>> like.
>> 	Otherwise the programs they write will be pretty weird.
>> 	-- D. Knuth
>
> Well, while I do agree in general, there is a huge difference
> between understanding how h/w executes machine code and
> casually reading assembly listings ;)

I disagree. There is nothing in asm except how the machine works
(plus a few convenience features e.g. not having to read actual
opCodes in octal/hex). If you understand how the h/w works then
you understand assembly code. It would simply be a matter of
getting used to the notation.

Plus, I would argue that learning assembly is a great path to
understanding the machine itself. To be honest I can't imagine it
any other way.