version(noboundscheck) + friends

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Jun 3 17:46:49 PDT 2013

On Monday, June 03, 2013 16:49:29 Timothee Cour wrote:
> I meant 'why not have version(noboundscheck) instead of
> version(D_NoBoundsChecks)'
> of course.

So, you're complaining about the name of the version identifier? I thought that
you were complaining that we were using a flag instead a version identifier to
turn on noboundscheck.

I don't know why that name was chosen or even who chose it. If you look at the
list of official identifiers, you can see that it's pretty arbitrary as to what
the exact naming scheme is. Not even the casing is consistent. So, I expect
that D_NoBoundsCheck was chosen simply because whoever picked it thought that
it best followed the generally naming scheme, or they just preferred that
name. As it stands, there's really no hope of being able to figure out what any
of the official version identifiers are without looking them up and memorizing
them - including the spelling and whatever other naming quirks that particular
identifier may have. And unfortunately, there's no way that that's going to be
fixed at this point due to code breakage that it would cause.

You might be able to get D_NoBoundsChecks changed given how new it is, but I
don't know.

- Jonathan M Davis