version(noboundscheck) + friends

Timothee Cour thelastmammoth at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 00:57:09 PDT 2013

What are his arguments against an opt-in flag such as
version=check_arithmetic_overflow ?

* slowing down code is a very weak argument precisely because this would be
an opt-in flag (and wouldn't be implied by version=debug in my proposal).

* reliance on intentional overflow arithmetics could be easily protected
with version blocks or similar. This should be the exception, not the norm,
and I bet we would start finding existing bugs with such a flag enabled.

* the resulting (relatively small) increased complexity of the compiler
would be dwarfed by the time
savings this would enable for everyone in bug chasing mode