Is the -property compiler flag broken/bad idea?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jun 5 14:36:11 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, June 05, 2013 22:43:53 Namespace wrote:
> I use @property consistently because I think it is absolutely
> ugly and confusing to call functions without brackets or to mix
> both versions. But I also use UFCS as good as never (I don't like
> it that much)

I tend to agree, but the general consensus is in favor of having optional
parens. Too many people like UFCS and don't like having to have two sets of
parens for all of the templated functions.

> And as long as there is the possibility to enable a strict
> behavior with @property and -property I will continue using it.
> If this control get lost, that would really be a shame and would
> lead in inconsistent behavior and confusion.

Strict property enforcement is as good as dead. -property is still there for
the moment, but its days are numbered. Walter and Andrei pretty much consider
@property to have been a failure and seem to want to get rid of @property and
go to pretty much what we had before. _Exactly_ what we're going to end up
with isn't clear at the moment, but it's crystal clear that strict property
enforcement will never happen, because it's too unpopular.

- Jonathan M Davis