Learning D

Daemon daemon at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 6 13:50:05 PDT 2013

Hi there. I am mesmerized by D and I would love to start using it
to really learn programming. I've tried it a year ago but failed
miserably and went back to C#. The problem I have is that I've
been using C# and I feel it left me crippled. I don't understand
a lot of the 'mechanical stuff', like how the hell am I supposed
to use something I need to build from source, linking to
libraries, debugging, etc. C# did a lot of this for me and so
I've never learned.

So, after failing to use D for the first time, I decided that it
would probably be best to start learning C++ and then, when I
have solid understanding of things like these, transition to D. I
have the advantage of a friend who lent me /C++ Primer, 5th
Edition/ that also covers C++11.

My question is, do you recommend this approach? I am not only
talking about learning the syntax - I consider that to be
relatively easy. But I want to create meaningful programs and
I've always bombed this in C#. I never really knew how to
implement things and even though I tried my best to use the SOLID
approach, I failed. I am hoping that if I learn C++, I can make
use of some other books that discuss program design that I could
learn.

Sorry for the longwinded post, but I am kind of desperate at this
point.. it's really frustrating to suck at representing ideas in
a programming language.

Thanks for any responses