Learning D

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 6 15:11:53 PDT 2013

On 06/06/2013 01:50 PM, Daemon wrote:

 > I am mesmerized by D and I would love to start using it to really learn
 > programming.

I agree with bearophile. I think D is easier to learn than C++.

 > I decided that it would probably be best to start learning C++ and then,
 > when I have solid understanding of things like these, transition to D.

Every language has its own idioms, ways of thinking, peculiarities, etc.
When you switch languages sometimes you have to unlearn those as well.

 > it's really frustrating to suck at representing ideas in a programming
 > language.

Programming is still a very difficult task. As you have discovered, even
the programming language itself, the most essential tool, takes years to
master. Then there are well-known gotchas that you must learn to protect
yourself from; some of the basic concepts of programming are extremely
difficult to grasp; etc.

Having said all of that, here is my plug:

   http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/

That is a book trying to teach programming in D. Since it was up a year
ago, you must have already seen it. If you haven't, I would be happy to
hear about criticisms, improvement recommendations, etc.

Ali