unpredictableSeed

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sun Mar 3 02:47:24 PST 2013

On 03/03/2013 10:06 AM, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> Maybe it would make sense to use /dev/random where available? (The
> problem is that /dev/random can block. On small embedded systems
> without monitor/mice/keyboard this can happen easily)

I suppose theoretically you shouldn't be calling /dev/random many times -- only
each time you spawn a thread within which pseudo-random numbers are being
generated -- and in an embedded context, this ought to happen rarely, no?

But from googling around I see that /dev/random can block fairly quickly, after
only a handful of numbers :-(

Is something equivalent available on Windows?