Question about auto ref

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Mar 25 17:27:14 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 00:52:56 Namespace wrote:
> Forgot to ask:
> Wouldn't it be better to publish this decision?
> Many still believe the nonsense (like me) that 'auto ref' is
> still the solution.

An official decision would mean that Walter had been involved in it, and that
hasn't happened. IIRC, Andrei said something positive about the temporary
approach when it was brought up, but AFAIK, no official decision has been made.
It's just that it became clear when discussing it that if we wanted to go with
the temporary trick (which looks like the best solution), it really should
apply to both templated and non-templated functions and that auto ref needs to
retain its current meaning for templated functions, which then means that we
need a new attribute. I suppose that we could always create a DIP for it
though.

- Jonathan M Davis