Finalizing GC

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 13:15:14 PDT 2013

Currently, the GC only finalizes classes. structs/arrays,
allocated via the GC, are not finalized.

I don't have much experience with GC, so ...

Question: Is this the intended behavior, or is it currently only
a limitation? WIll we ever have a GC that is capable of
finalizing structs/arrays?

Question2: If the idea is that the GC *should* finalize, then how
are we supposed to specify the finalizer to the GC when we
allocate via GC.malloc ? There is apparently a
GC.BLKAttr.FINALIZE, but how do you specify *how* to finalize...?

My "big" worry is that when we finally have a GC that can handle
built-in array finalization, all our code that manually manages
memory (for example: "std.array.array") will become buggy...

Thoughts? Insight?