D is totally useless

Idan Arye GenericNPC at gmail.com
Sat May 4 11:29:40 PDT 2013

On Friday, 3 May 2013 at 16:48:42 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 May 2013 at 20:23:53 UTC, Diggory wrote:
>> The wgl*** functions and "SwapBuffers" ARE part of the windows
>> api even though they are implemented in opengl32.dll (they are
>> declared in wingdi.h IIRC)
>
> You recalled correctly, and according to MS these describe
> OpenGL 1.1. Anyway, OpenGL, and the gl.h file is not part of
> the Windows API. But I'd defiantly be for all the .h files in
> the SDK to be translated for Phobos.

You can't use OpenGL without creating a context(a window), and
for that you a windowing system - either a general
one(Win32/X/GTK/Qt) or an OpenGL-toolkit(GLUT/GLFW/SDL)(Yes, I
know SDL is not an OpenGL toolkit, but it can function as one).
Phobos does not have any windowing system - the Win32 binding are
about the Windows filesystem and DLL loading, not about creating,
managing and using graphical windows. That means you'll have to
get an external library anyways to use OpenGL.