Avoid initializing a struct field.

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon May 6 08:15:43 PDT 2013

On Sat, 04 May 2013 14:11:02 -0400, jerro <a at a.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to avoid default initializing a struct field in D? The
> following doesn't seem to work:
>
> struct Foo
> {
>      int[42] buffer = void;
>      int bar;
> }
>
> I know I can do this:
>
> Foo foo = void
>
> But then all fields are uninitialized.

Foo.init must exist, and be filled with *something*.  Is it useful to
FORCE buffer to not have 0 values?  Or is it that you don't care what it
has?  In the latter, is it terrible that it's 0?

I tend to think that without the bar there, it could potentially be
uninitialized (not sure if this is the case).  But as long as it's there,
buffer must also be initialized.

-Steve