Disgusted

TommiT tommitissari at hotmail.com
Tue May 14 14:46:14 PDT 2013

On Monday, 13 May 2013 at 00:18:34 UTC, D-Ratiseur wrote:
> I went back from a trip...basically I spent 6 monthes in
> Yukon...
> Then, came back to my activities, I was a lot in the library of
> the university linked to my geo. location...I've noticed a
> strange guy...He was always reading some books about computer
> programming languages.
> After a few monthes, I've realized that he was learning from
> A to Z all the languagues...I've just realized that he was
> probably smarter than me...And despite of being disgusted, I
> wonder If It's time to hide again in the Yukon state...'cause
> I'm basically disgusted, and the basic concept of being alive
> is stupid and pointless.

My diagnosis of a guy who is learning all programming languages:
"maladaptive perfectionism". There are basically two types of
perfectionism: the one that accepts that there is no such thing
as perfect and strives for "good enough", and then there's the
maladaptive form of it which can't get anything done because
nothing is ever "perfect" (by his own standards). I'm in the
later camp too. Sure he might be smarter than you, but it's
unlikely he's ever going to accomplish nearly as much as someone
who can accept imperfection and just "do the best he can".