cannot have overloaded nested functions?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed May 15 23:43:31 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 20:48:19 Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Wed, 15 May 2013 19:10:49 -0400, Timothee Cour
>
> <thelastmammoth at gmail.com> wrote:
> > why isn't this supported?
> >
> >  void main(){
> >
> >     void fun();
> >     void fun(int x);//Error: declaration fun is already defined
> >
> > }
>
> Don't know, but it hasn't been supported ever.  Spec clearly states it's
> not supported, but not why.  I suppose it is not difficult to name it
> something else?
>
> Note that there are a lot of different rules with nested functions that
> don't apply to normal functions.

You can't have multiple instantiations of templated nested functions either.
IIRC, I created a bug report on it, and Walter closed it as won't fix, but I
don't remember what his reasoning was, though IIRC, he was essentially of the
opinion that nested functions didn't need to have the full capabilities of
normal functions. I assume that that simplifies their implementation, but I
don't know.

- Jonathan M Davis