Find variable at run time

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri May 17 15:15:07 PDT 2013

Josh:

> Is something like this possible in D?
>
> void main()
> {
>     int x, y, z;
>     write("Increment which variable: ");
>     string input = readln()[0..$ - 1];
>     findVar(input)++;
>     writeln(x, y, z);
> }

The Go language and its standard library make the usage of such
runtime reflection much simpler than in D. So I think D has to
improve on such things.

A starting point:

import std.stdio, std.string;

void main() {
     int x, y, z;
     auto findVar = ["x": &x, "y": &y, "z": &z];
     "Increment which variable: ".write;
     const input = readln.chomp;
     (*findVar[input])++;
     writeln(x, y, z);
}

With __FUNCTION__ you can tell the name of the current function,
but how do you find the caller function? And how do you find the
names of the local variables in the caller function?

D is a statically compiled language, and its templates allow to
do lot of stuff at compile-time. But some run-time reflection is
handy in many cases.

Bye,
bearophile