How do you guys debug large programs?

estew estewh at gmail.com
Tue May 28 03:49:01 PDT 2013

Then (12 months ago):
If you're on linux and after VStudio style debugging in the GUI
then I found QtCreator worked well.

I was just using the Qt SDK bundle but it should work just from
the QtCreator download (saves installing the monolithic Qt
development libs).

I would build the D application with -gc for C symbols and it
just worked, expect for one small caveat. I had to load the D
source file containing main() into the IDE editor, set a
breakpoint (F9) anywhere and then:

Debug->Start Debugging->Start and Debug External Application

Reason for this was that QtCreator's "break at main" function
would break at the real main() not _Dmain. To be expected I guess
as QtCreator (aka GDB) knows nothing about D startup.

Now:
I haven't tried QtCreator for a while as the D compile time is so
fast debugging with printfs seems to be quicker and stepping
through code in the IDE.

Cheers,
Stewart