Consume an entire range

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu May 30 04:38:57 PDT 2013

Brad Anderson:

> import std.stdio, std.algorithm, std.array;
>
> void eat(R)(R r) { while(!r.empty) { r.front; r.popFront; } }
>
> void main() {
>    size_t[dstring] dic;
>    stdin.byLine
> 	   .joiner(" ")
> 	   .array
> 	   .splitter(' ')
> 	   .filter!(w => !w.empty && w !in dic)
> 	   .map!(w => writeln(dic[w.idup] = dic.length, '\t', w))
> 	   .eat;
> }
>
> I would have prefered to not use joiner() but working with
> ranges of ranges of ranges (splitter() on each line) got a bit
> weird and confusing.

Maybe here it's better to work on lines. Alternatively I don't
know if you can read the whole input there.

It's usually better to give only pure functions to filter/map,
because in Bugzilla I've shown those higher order functions don't
work well otherwise.

So I prefer a terminal function that takes an impure function and
returns nothing, something like:

.filter!(w => !w.empty && w !in dic)
.forEach!((w) { writeln(dic[w.idup] = dic.length, '\t', w); });

Bye,
bearophile