and/or/not/xor operators

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri May 31 05:13:23 PDT 2013

Regan Heath:

> I find them ugly and less clear - because I can glance at words
> & symbols and immediately see the operator, faster than with
> words and symbols.

Finding a short, common and easy to write English word "ugly" is
quite strange, especially for a person that seems able to write
in English.

In C code it's not uncommon to write "&" where you meant "&&" by
mistake and vice versa (so common that all the lint tools I know
of have rules to spot such kind of bug). And for most kinds of
not low-level programming bitwise operators are far less commonly
used than boolean operators. So it's a good idea to visually
differentiate them more.

Maybe if you program in Python a little you will appreciate my
opinion :-)

Minas Mina:

>They are more noisy for non-English talking persons.<

It's hard to believe, it's the first time I hear that. I have no
reliable studies on this topic.

Bye,
bearophile