Shipping the DMD compiler with code

Colin Grogan grogan.colin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 08:47:55 PDT 2013

I have a project I may need to write that is pretty performance
intensive, but also needs to be quite customiseable.

We previously had this done with Perl, and the customising came
from adding functions to a file and the main script would call
those functions as required.
Problem is, the Perl program is performing very slowly.

Im thinking of doing this with D, and using string mixins to add
in customised functions at compile time. All well and good I
think.

However, I dont want to have the hassle of telling users to
install a D compiler on their systems.
Ideally, the user should be able to unzip this tool and run it
with rdmd.

Is it possible to ship the D compiler with the code, and not have
to worry about any libs and config files being missing?

I'm specifically thinking about libphobos.a and dmd.conf, can
they just be in the same folder as the D compiler or do they need
to be in /usr/lib and /etc ?

Thanks folks!